Monday, May 3, 2010

Stories from our Readers #1

When I saw you last week, Sonya, and you had your book, I was instantly compelled to buy it. I'm not sure why, but I am sure it wasn't the reason that I'm GLAD I bought it. I probably acted impulsively in purchasing the book to support you and Rodney, or maybe to have as a "coffee table book" of art. I had no idea what I was in for.

I have been VERY insecure about my body since I can remember being tall enough to look in my bedroom mirror on top of my dresser. I've always been "too skinny" or "too fat" but no happy medium. When I first opened the book last night (finally) I didn't read the forward or the journal entries--I just looked at the pictures and very few of the "Who am I?" answers below them. I'll admit it: I was judging, not admiring. I wasn't offended, but I wasn't connected either.

After flipping through the book, I put it down on the nightstand, shut off the light in my room and and rested my head on my pillow feeling no more secure, special or beautiful than I did any other day in my life. When I closed my eyes I was instantly overcome with a feeling of curiosity. "Why? Why was the "Just as I am" project created? Why would these people do this? Why would the women, some of whom I knew quite well, pose for these pictures?"

I turned the light back on and decided to take my time, start with page one and simply read. I read the journal entry, I read the testimonials of the participants and I read about your purpose. Once I had read all of that, I knew exactly WHY these pieces of art were created and so beautifully honoured. I honestly couldn't wait to slowly look at each picture and the answers to "Who am I?" below them.

I cried myself to sleep last night and not because I was sad--I felt a freedom I've never felt in my entire life. When I woke up this morning, undressed and walked by a mirror to head into the shower, I did something I haven't ever done in my life. I stopped, looked at myself, smiled and told myself I was beautiful.

Your work on this project will change lives time and again. You should be VERY proud of how you have chosen to work with our Creator's bodies and works of art.

This morning I wrapped the book up in the nicest wrapping paper I could find to give to a very close friend of mine. This is not a coffee table book. This is a gift meant to be given.

Much love and thanks,
Heather

No comments: