Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Party Time


It’s 10 pm and I should be cleaning up the studio after an amazing evening with you all (We had the official opening night of the first set of project images tonight ) but instead I sit here with a plate, no a very big plate of two bite brownies, creampuffs, shrimp and of course my trademark Pepsi. I wish to thank you all for coming out on this beautiful evening and celebrating the beauty that is you with us all. I also want to say a huge thank you to Sheena Grobb http://www.sheenagrobb.com/ for not only gracing us with your presence and musical talents but also opening up your heart to us.

Working on the Just As I Am project has been one of the most rewarding and significant projects that I have ever done, my life has changed as much as many of yours has through this process. This week has been an interesting week for me, it’s been a week of remembering many people in history that have had a significant impact on history the most well known of which was Mother Theresa; to thinking about Feron Hall a Winnipeg homeless man who risked his life to jump into the icy Red River to save a life. Neither of these people fit the mould that we as a society look at as successful; neither of them is particularly good looking and neither of them is wealthy. Money and looks are the measuring sticks that we as a society use to determine worth, if you don’t have one you had better have the other to be seen as valuable, yet both of these people are honoured by us even though it seems that they have snubbed us and our way of doing life.

I’ve heard it told (although I have not verified the story as fact) that some years ago Pope John Paul 2 felt that Mother Theresa should have a decent vehicle to drive around in so he donated one of the Vatican limos to her. Mother Theresa being the gentle spirit that she was thanked him and quietly sold it and donated the money to the poor (although she herself was living a life of poverty).

Feron Hall in the aftermath of saving the young man in the river has had a long list of people step up to “Save him” from his life and get him on track so that he can be just like us but Feron in his gentle and kind way has gratefully declined saying that he is happy with his life the way it is and doesn’t see the need to change right now.

All of you who have so far been a part of this project have been a lot like these two individuals, you have stepped up and said I’m more or less at peace with who I am and where I’m at, that is more than most of us in our society ever get to. I want you to know that I’m proud of you and grateful for the way you have impacted me.

Blessings.

Rodney

PS We’d be interested in hearing what your experiences were tonight so please take the time to share them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW absolutely amazing!!!!!!! the vulnerability & pride of everyone involved was overwhelming.....you brought out the best in us all and helped us to overcome whatever issues we carry!!!!! the love & tears we all shared will stay with us forever.....thank you.....deb

Anonymous said...

It was a beautiful evening and I was extremely moved by the slideshow. The photos are truly inspiring and I am very proud to be a part of it. Kudos also on choosing Sheena Grobb's beautiful voice to accompany the images. I wish you all the best with your project and look forward to seeing it again in a gallery!

Gratefully,
Heather

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately I had to cut the evening a little short but it's an amazing collection of photographs that I'm proud to be a part of. So many beautiful people of all shapes and sizes. I've said it before but we all owe you a big thanks for doing this.

"Fred"

Unknown said...

Never have had a chance to say thanks for the shoot untill now. And so...."Thanks Rod"! You truly do have a gift for capturing the beauty of the human body in all it's shapes, sizes....and ages! The better gift that was given was the peace and acceptance you helped release to those at the shoot who were shunned by "society" as "not perfect". On behalf of all of us, "Thanks"...for making us feel safe about ourselves. Bless your heart!
"Ken"